First, thanks very much for being interested in Sharc Lab! 🙂 It’s always a pleasure working with talented and passionate students. If you’re interested in working at Sharc, please take a look at the following requirement before dropping me an email.
Required skills at Sharc
- Basic Machine learning: understand basic ML theory (traditional ML methods); experience in DNN/CNN design and training; familiar with at least one ML framework (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow).
- Graph Neural Network: understand basic GNN concept (even better if you know advanced GNN/transformer algorithms); experience in GNN design and training; familiar with GNN frameworks such as pytorch geometric or pytorch dgl.
- High-Level Synthesis: HLS tools, especially Xilinx Vitis HLS; proficient in HLS programming with FPGA; alternatively, understand the core algorithms of HLS (e.g., scheduling and binding).
- Verilog or other HDL: Chisel, BlueSpec, etc.
- Compiler: especially Multi-Level Intermediate Representation (MLIR) framework.
It is completely fine if you are only familiar with part of these skills, but please be sure you’re confident in at least one or two of them before contacting me. If you want to learn, please see the following section.
Where to gain these skills
Please refer to the “material” page. There are a bunch of good learning resources. If you figure out other materials, please let me know!
When writing me an email…
If you are interested in doing research with me and you are confident about the above skills, that is great and please feel free to drop me an email! ^_^
In the email, please kindly include the following information:
- Your CV
- Some specific reasons why you are interested in working at Sharc, especially what kind of research topics or which papers motivate you.
- Which of the above skills do you have, and how proficient you are. You may use a scoring system, where a 5-star means you’re an expert, and a 0-star means you never touched it before.
- Your weekly time commitment and long-term schedule. How many hours per week you could contribute? When do you plan to start and when to finish?
With a large number of inquiries, I will prioritize an email that uses the above template and will be less likely to reply if it is too general.